Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Trip to Detroit

Last week I had a business trip to Detroit. For information, I normally enjoy business trips as they are a few days I can rest, shop, eat good food, work a little bit, and then shop some more. However, for this trip, our meeting was at a hotel in the Detroit airport. It was a nice hotel, but because of security, you couldn't leave very easily and without a car, couldn't really go anywhere. So I sat on the bed every night and worked on the computer.

I did have a meeting the last morning in downtown Detroit with a supplier that I have never met before. So I had to go through security to get my rental car and then drive to downtown Detroit. On the way, I passed by the largest tire in the world. It is by the interstate for all to see.

As I was following directions to the site, I noticed it was getting more run down, and then pretty bad, then very scary. There was graffiti on the building and I had to park in a fenced in area. I stayed for a few hours and then quickly left to go back through airport security and to my flight.

Detroit was a dreary sad city. They said that unemployment is 25% and the several officials have been charged with taking bribes. To say the least, if I don't get back to Detroit, it will be fine with me!

2 comments:

  1. I had to go to Detroit three times when I co-oped with GM. Of course the unemployment wasn't as bad then, but I still hated Detroit!! If your meeting was anywhere south of 8 mile road, you were in the bad section of town. North of 8 mile got better. How'd you like those Michigan lefts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my crazi wonderful wife... I'm glad that you survived your trip to the ghetto, but please don't go there again... : )

    ReplyDelete